LETTING & ESTATE AGENT

Oldham landlord prosecuted over dangerous properties

Oldham landlord prosecuted over dangerous properties

Oldham Council has successfully prosecuted a private landlord for failing to ensure his properties were safe to live in.

In June last year the council received numerous complaints from residents about three properties in Moss Bank, Queen Street, Shaw.

Environmental health officers inspected the dwellings and discovered a catalogue of errors.

Two of the properties did not have any fire detection systems and both the electricity and gas supplies had been tampered with – therefore putting tenants’ lives at risk.

Flammable materials were left in the path of fire escapes, fire doors were open and had handles missing, plus plug sockets and light switches were loose and faulty. Safety certificates for gas and electrical appliances were also missing.

Working in partnership with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service the two properties were closed immediately by the local authority and the seven tenants were rehoused.

On 14 January at Oldham Magistrates’ Court, Stuart Mather, 38, of Oxford Place, Manchester, pleaded guilty to 13 breaches of the Management of House in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006. 

He was fined £1,495 – £115 for each offence – with costs of £2,700 being awarded to the council.

The landlord, who had 11 tenants living in the three properties, carried out emergency work to the third property allowing it to remain open at the time of the inspection.

Councillor Dave Hibbert, cabinet member for housing, planning and transport, said: “All landlords have responsibilities to their tenants and must ensure that the properties they rent out are safe and fit to live in.

“We took immediate action when we discovered no fire detection system was in place and there were inadequate electricity and gas supplies. This is just not acceptable and we will not allow any private landlords to get away with letting their tenants live in sub-standard properties.”