Tenant Fees (England & Wales)
For new tenancies, you will receive a copy of our Tenant Terms of Business which, together with your tenancy Agreement, details everything which will become payable before, during and after the tenancy. This will include confirmation of the agreed rent and the deposit.
Below is a list of our current permitted payments:
• Holding deposit (per tenancy). Equal to one week’s rent.
This reserves the property whilst your application is being processed. Please Note: your holding deposit will be withheld if any relevant person (including any guarantor(s)) withdraw from the tenancy, fail a Right-to-Rent check, provide materially significant false or misleading information, or fail to sign their tenancy agreement (and / or Deed of Guarantee) within 15 calendar days (or other Deadline for Agreement as mutually agreed in writing).
• Security deposit (per tenancy, if the rent is under £50,000 per year). Five weeks’ rent.
• Security deposit (per tenancy, if the rent equals or exceeds £50,000 per year). Six weeks’ rent.
• Unpaid rent
Interest at 3% above the Bank of England Base Rate from Rent Due Date until paid in order to pursue non-payment of rent. Please Note: This will not be levied until the rent is more than 14 days in arrears.
• Lost key(s) or other security device(s).
Tenants are liable to the actual cost of replacing any lost key(s) or other security device(s). If the loss results in locks needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmith, new lock and replacement keys for the tenant, landlord any other persons requiring keys will be charged to the tenant. If extra costs are incurred there will be a charge of £15 per hour (inc. VAT) for the time taken replacing lost key(s) or other security device(s).
• Variation of contract at the tenants request; £50 (inc. VAT) per agreed variation.
• Change of sharer at the tenant’s request £50 (inc. VAT) per replacement tenant or any reasonable costs incurred if higher.
To cover the costs associated with taking landlord’s instructions, new tenant referencing and Right-to-Rent checks, deposit registration as well as the preparation and execution of new legal documents.
• Early termination (tenant’s request) at the tenants request:
If the tenant applies to leave their contract early, they will be liable to the landlord’s costs in re-letting the property as well as all rent due under the tenancy until the start date of the replacement tenancy. These costs will not exceed the maximum amount of rent outstanding on the tenancy.
Tenant Fees (Scotland)
In accordance with Scots law, no Tenant Fees are charged by any of our branches.
The only things that you will need to pay before you move into a property with Martin & Co will be as follows;
• Rent; paid in advance per month.
• Where rent is paid in advance this will be for a maximum of six months paid upfront.
• Security Deposit; capped at no more than two months’ rent.
Where a Holding Deposit is requested, this will always be completely refundable in the event that the tenancy does not proceed. Default charges and contractual fees; may be levied in accordance with the terms of your tenancy agreement. For more detailed advice, please ask your local Martin & Co branch who will be pleased to advise.
Fees to Landlords will vary regionally and can be found on the page of each local branch.