Condensation - the big issue
Condensation can cause landlords and letting agents numerous problems over the winter months, and if left unresolved, it can result in damp and black mould growth on walls and furniture, which can really burn a hole in your pocket.
Aside from all the hassle, possible redecorating and initial costs spent on trying to find a solution - not to mention the time it can take - condensation and black mould could lead to insurance claims, a visit from environmental health and, potentially, the loss of tenants.
Handy tips to help minimise condensation
It's a tricky one but try to advise your tenants to keep the inside temperature reasonably constant for much of the time as possible. The following tips should help.......
- Clothes should not be dried over the radiator
- Place clothes on a drying airer or rack in a well ventilated room
- Tumble dryers should be properly vented
- Existing extract fans should not be disabled by the tenants
- Extract fans should be used when cooking or bathing
- Keeping the lid on a pan while cooking will help to avoid excess steam