Landlord obligations can be difficult. Electrical safety, fire safety, deposit protection, licensing and consent, the list is endless - leaving some unsure of what to do.
How about gas safety? Legally, landlords must have a gas safety inspection each year if there is a gas supply. A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate must be given to tenants. Appliances, installations, pipework, and air vents must be checked to ensure they are safe to use. But while you are more than likely to know that, are you actually honouring your obligations?
Some 16% tenants surveyed said that the last time their boiler was serviced was over a year ago, according to fresh research from Cover4LetProperty.co.uk, the landlord insurance specialists.
The study also showed that 31% of private tenants are unaware as to when their boiler was last serviced, potentially compromising their health and safety.
Additionally, 89% of private tenants are unaware of their rights from April 2016 regarding the energy efficiency of their rented property. What's more, 81% of tenants on an assured shorthold tenancy that started or was renewed on or after 1 October 2015 said that their landlord did not give them a copy of the government guide How To Rent?
Richard Burgess, director at Cover4LetProperty, commented: "While it is the responsibility of a landlord to ensure that the boiler is serviced annually - and an obligation under their landlord insurance policy - our research highlighted that 16% tenants said the last time their boiler was serviced was over a year ago.
"Our study also showed that just 11% of tenants were aware of the new legislation from April 2016 relating to energy performance ratings - leaving the other 89% perhaps living in a draughty home and paying more to heat it than they need to.
"While we specialise in helping landlords with protecting their property portfolios, we urge them to understand the obligations relating to health and safety, as well as helping their tenants save money on their utility bills."
Article courtesy of Landlord Today | Sign up for Landlord Today newsletter | Get this news on YOUR site!