We are pleased to announce that following the government’s guidance on moving home during the coronavirus pandemic, our branches in England have now re-opened for pre-booked appointments, and our branches in Scotland in Wales will start re-opening their doors over the coming days. Health and safety remains our main priority, and in line with government’s advice, a number of strict measures have been put in place to protect our staff and customers. Visit our branch page to find contact details for your local office.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Is your property at risk?

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Is your property at risk?

Tenants have a 50% greater chance of carbon monoxide poisoning than people who own their own homes or those in social housing.


This statistic was revealed as a result of a 14 year report by the Gas Safety Trust, which collected data related to carbon monoxide poisoning incidents between 1996 and 2010.


The report also found that terrace housing has the highest risk (more than double that of other properties) of carbon monoxide poisoning than all other types property. There is also evidence that detached properties are at less risk of a carbon monoxide incident than other types, possibly due to better flueing and ventilation.


Nigel Dumbrell, head of charitable operations for the Gas Safety Trust, said: “Landlords are not only required by law to have appliances checked for safety on an annual basis, but they also have obligations with respect to the ongoing maintenance of appliances."


Dunbrell adds “This is not the same as servicing, though, which ensures the appliance remains safe until the next service period. One way of achieving this would be to require landlords to have appliances serviced annually.”


For more information on your obligations as a landlord or to find out more about the private rental sector then call Martin and Co Southampton West on 02380 988881.