Today we consider the importance of why a landlord needs a professional mindset...
One of the biggest mistakes a landlord can make is to allow their personal feelings to impede their decision making hence it is key that landlords take a business-like approach when they let a property.
Circumstances giving rise to this may include:
- Having too strong an emotional attachment to a property (you may have lived in the property or inherited it from a loved one). You need to accept that some wear and tear is inevitable!
- Undertaking work at the property to suit your own taste instead of keeping things neutral, hence making it less appealing to tenants.
- You personally know the tenant before they moved in so the professional boundaries are blurred.
Being a landlord isn’t just about managing a property; it’s about working with people. Whether it’s dealing with a tenant who has lost their job and can’t pay their rent, or managing a dispute between a tenant and neighbour, you need to remain calm, clear-headed, and professional.
One way to manage these difficult situations is to draw on our expertise, we will be able to:
- Come up with workable solutions to all manner of problems (as experienced agents we have seen all sorts over the years).
- Ensure landlords stay on the right side of the law.
- Talk to people from all walks of life and clearly articulate a tenant’s legal obligations.
- Step back from complex scenarios and take a broader view.
Here at Martin & Co Saltaire, we can take the stress, emotion, and guesswork out of managing a property. Please get in touch if you’d like us to help you.